Monday, June 7, 2010

Books

If you're addicted to the written word, like me, and were not smart enough to buy a kindle before coming to Korea, like me, then you may be freaking out right about now. Unfortunately, English language bookstores in Geoje, to my knowledge, don't exist. So, I have found salvation at http://www.whatthebook.com/ What the Book is a small English language bookstore in Seoul that can ship virtually any English language book to your door within 10 days at a pretty reasonable price. Truly, a lifesaver for me!

If you don't want to bother with ordering online, there is a pretty good selection of English language books at the book exchange in the Foreigner's Club in Okpo. If you're facing the kitchen, look right and go behind the screens. There's a hidden stash of books that have been passed around. All you have to do is pick a few up, and hopefully drop some off while you're at it. To me, this was one of the coolest finds in Okpo!

P.S.  A friend shared this tidbit with me: I found a fairly large selection of English books at Shinsegae Department Store in Busan when we had a bus excursion there with the Ladies' Coffee Morning. Sorry I don't remember which floor it was on-just remember it being near the escalator as I went up. Such a good selection I think I brought about 8 books back, if not 10.

1 comment:

Elaine said...

Thanks for this, Nancy. I'm also a book lover and have just arrived in Geoje and was wondering what options there might be for finding English language books.
Elaine